Remote LiveShare is great for conducting remote moderated interviews. And your team can stream your session live if they'd like, too!
This article gives you an overview of how to set up and conduct a Remote LiveShare.
Set up: On the moderator's side
- Log on to Lookback on your laptop/desktop via the Google Chrome browser
- Create a LiveShare Round within a Project and remember to select LiveShare.
- Once you've sourced and screened your participants, click into the relevant Project on your Lookback Dashboard.
- Click on the Invite to Remote button beside the relevant Round.
- Copy the Participant link and share it with your remote participants via an email.
Pro tip! Modify these email templates to send the LiveShare Participant Link to participants.
Fun fact! You can send the same Remote LiveShare Link to all remote participants within a Round. A unique interview room is created for each participant who clicks on the LiveShare Link, so you never have to worry about one participant interfering with a different session.
Invite members from your Lookback Org to observe
- Invite members from your Lookback Org in advance, so they can observe your Remote LiveShare session and take notes.
Fun fact! Participants won't know your members from your Lookback Org are watching. It's a “behind the glass” lab-style experience.
On the day of the test
Prepping for a session: Moderator perspective
- Check that you are on a strong WiFi Connection, and are not affected by a firewall before you start a Live session with a participant. This will ensure you don't experience any hiccups during the test.
- Have your headphones with a built-in microphone ready. Headphones cut out echo and ensure good audio quality.
The participant's perspective
- When participants click the link, they will be prompted to download the necessary Lookback Participate App or Chrome extension for their device, if they don't already have it installed.
- After the Participate App/Extension is installed, after the participant clicks the link again they will be taken through some quick setup steps through the App/Extension to give their phone or computer access to video, audio, and screen recording.
- Then, they will be shown a screen that says "All set. We're just waiting for the other party to join." At this point, they need to wait for the moderator (you) to join the session.
Joining a session
- Once the participant reaches the page that says "All set. We're just waiting for the other party to join," the LiveShare session will appear both in the Lookback project from which you sent the Live link and under the Live tab in your dashboard.
- And you'll also see this LiveShare session within the relevant Project.
- Click on the LiveShare session to join.
Pro Tip! If you've invited other members from your Lookback Org to watch, they can join the session too at this point, in a similar manner.
- To moderate the session you just joined, click the Start session button.
- Select which microphone and camera you'd like to use, then click Call participant.
- Remember that using a microphone is mandatory when moderating a session. A camera is optional.
Pro tip! You can switch, enable or disable your camera, later on during the session too. Just click the camera icon on the top-right corner of your screen.
- The participant will be notified that you are calling them, and will have the option to accept or reject your call.
- When they accept, your Remote LiveShare has officially started!
- Go ahead and start moderating.
- If you added 'Instructions' and a 'Landing Page' (either a website or a url-based prototype) when you created this LiveShare Round with in a Project, your participants will now be able to see them.
- If you're testing an app in the App Store or Play Store, an app-based prototype or an unreleased app, just ask the participant to navigate to that app. Once they've finished testing, the participant can navigate back to Lookback's Participate app.
Sharing your screen with the participant
- If you'd like to share your screen with the Participant, just click the screen icon on the top right corner of the screen - beside the mic and camera icons.
- Then click Share screen in the window that pops up, to choose from three different ways to share your screen with the Participant.
Taking notes and chatting during a session
During a LiveShare session, you can chat with others who are observing the session and add timestamped notes using the pane on the right.
- Chat is a place for everyday, random chatter with your team. It's a place for others who are observing the session to ask you questions, and discuss the session in general. The whole team can view the chat later along with the full-length recording, but these messages won't show up on the participant's screen or on the timeline. So chat away!
- Notes can be used to annotate the current LiveShare session. All notes are saved with a timestamp, so you'll be able to easily find the moment in the session where you added the note when you watch the full-length recording.
Ending a session
- To end a session, click on the End session button in the top right corner.
- Once you do so, the session will published in the relevant Round within the Project.
- Now, you and your team will be able to view your recording in your Project.
Awesome work. You've just completed a LiveShare session! 🎉
- Testing prototypes during a Remote LiveShare session
- Testing Apps in the App / Play Store during a Remote LiveShare session
- Testing unreleased Apps during a Remote LiveShare session
- How to share content on Lookback
Interested in other types of tests?
Want to invite participants to a (remote unmoderated) SelfTest?
Need to conduct a moderated, in-person session using Lookback?