Hey [Participant First Name]!
Thanks for joining our research study. Please read this email carefully, as it contains information you need to know to participate successfully in this project.
Call Time & Date: [Start time - End time] on [Date]
Compensation: [Details of Compensation]
Prepping for your session:
- Wifi. Check that you're on a strong and stable wifi connection. We recommend at 5Mbps minimum, for both uploading and downloading.
- Chrome browser. We will chat with you via Lookback's platform, using a browser extension called Participate, available for Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge. Make sure you have either the Google Chrome browser or Microsoft Edge installed on your desktop/laptop. If not, please download/install Google Chrome here or Microsoft Edge here.
- Exit full-screen mode.
- Headset with mic. Make sure you have a headset with a built-in microphone plugged into your desktop. A microphone will reduce noise/risk for echo and improve overall audio quality both during the LiveShare session and in the recording.
- Privacy! Disable notifications and close apps that might reveal sensitive information (passwords, personal conversations, etc.) during the session. Participate (Lookback's browser extension) will record everything that shows up on your screen.
- Other apps. Close any app/tool that uses microphone/camera/screen sharing, to minimise the risk of disconnects or bad audio/video quality.
Time to start!
- Open this link: [Remote LiveShare Link] – remember to use Google Chrome or Microsoft Edge
- Install Participate. Follow the prompts to 'Install Extension' (Participate).
- Click 'Get Started'.
- Name, e-mail, anonymity. Enter your name and email address and click 'Next'. If you prefer to remain anonymous (in agreement with your researcher), you can enter an alias (like P1, participant 1 etc) instead of entering your real name, and also use a fake email, like eg. email@example.com.
- Headset. Connect your headset if you haven’t already.
- Select Audio and tap 'Next'. If you are testing using a screen reader, select your External Speakers from the audio drop down menu.
- Select Camera (this may be optional, required or disabled, depending on the researcher/moderator's preferences)
- Share screen. Click 'Share Screen', click on the screen you want to share in the pop-window, and then click 'Share'. If you get stuck at this screen sharing step, you may need to change some privacy settings to allow screen sharing. Read more about this here.
- Waiting. After you've clicked 'Share screen' you should see the screen: “All set, we're just waiting for the other party to join” – keep that window open while you wait for the moderator to call. You can do other things on your computer while waiting, but if you do that, keep this sidebar window open in the background.
- Accept call. At the start time of our interview, a Chrome browser window will appear saying I am calling you. Once you click 'Accept' you're connected with your researcher/moderator.
- End session. End the session by clicking the 'End session', NOT by closing the tab or browser. Once you the session is over, you can close your browser.
Please let me know if you have any questions. I look forward to chatting with you!
[Researcher’s First Name]
For the researcher/moderator:
Think of this template as a starting point with most of the relevant/necessary pointers. We recommend that you add details and information to make it better match your specific research project. A few things you may want to include in your email:
- Details about what your interview will be focused on
- Info about what a participant should do if they need to cancel or reschedule
- Reminder for participant to call from a place with strong wifi, preferably firewall/vpn free (check the recommendations for connections here), and no background noise
- A contract for participant to sign
- this guide that will also help your Participants get up and running: Participating in a Live Research Session on my computer.