Hey [Participant First Name],
Thanks for your willingness to participate in our research study. Please read this email carefully as it contains important information you need to know for this project.
Call Time & Date: [Start time - End time] on [Date]
Compensation: [Details of Compensation]
As soon as you receive this email:
- We’re going to be chatting with you using a web conferencing platform on the Google Chrome browser.
- On your desktop or laptop computer, please download and install the Google Chrome Browser if you don’t already have it.
Prepping for your session:
- Make sure you have a headset with a built-in microphone plugged into your desktop. A microphone will help reduce noise.
- Paste this link into your Chrome browser to check that you're on a strong internet connection. We recommend at least at least 5Mbps available both for uploading and downloading
- Disable any notifications and close any other apps that might reveal sensitive information (passwords, personal conversations, etc.). The conferencing tool we’ll use will record everything on your screen
When you're ready to begin:
- Close any apps and websites with sensitive info like passwords etc.
- Open up this link: [Remote LiveShare Link] - make sure you're opening it using the Google Chrome browser
- Enter your name and email address and tap "Next"
NOTE: If you prefer anonymity, instruct Participants to enter their name as P1, 2,... and their email can simply be email@example.com
- Connect your headset if you haven’t already, and tap "Next"
- Select Audio
NOTE: If you are testing using a screen reader, select your External Speakers from the audio drop down menu.
- Select Camera [optional - up to you as the moderator to specify]
- Select Display for screen sharing.
NOTE: If you get stuck at this screen it's likely due to privacy settings that need to be updated, due to Apple's release of Catalina. Read about how, here.
- When you see the screen that says: “All set, we're just waiting for the other party to join,” please keep this window open while you wait for me to call you. You may do other things on your computer, but please keep this window open in the background.
- At the start time of our interview, a Chrome browser window will appear saying I am calling you. Please click “Answer” so we can begin
- Once the session is over, you can close your browser.
Please let me know if you have any questions. I look forward to chatting with you!
[Researcher’s First Name]
You likely will need to modify the email template above to fit your exact research project. A few things you may want to include in your email:
- Details about what your interview will be focused on
- Info about what a participant should do if they need to cancel or reschedule
- Reminder for participant to call from a place with strong wifi (we recommend at least 5Mbps for upload and download speeds) and no background noise
- Contract for participant to sign
Here's a guide to share with your Participants, to help them get up and running: Participating in a Live Research Session on my computer.