Hey [Participant First Name],
Thanks for your willingness to participate in our research study. Please read this email carefully as it contains important information you need to know for this project.
Call Time & Date: [Start time - End time] on [Date]
Compensation: [Details of Compensation]
We’re going to be chatting with you using the Participate App. The app will let me see your screen, record your face camera, and our conversation.
5 minutes before our session:
- Make sure you have wired or wireless headset with a built-in microphone plugged into your Android device. A headset will help reduce noise and echo.
- Close any other apps, websites, and notifications with sensitive info like passwords etc.
- From your Android device, follow this link to check you're on a strong internet connection. We recommend at least 5Mbps available both for uploading and downloading.
Starting the session:
- Open up this link: [Remote LiveShare Link] on your Android device.
- Read the welcome message from us (If applicable), then tap 'Install Participate' and install the App from the Play Store.
- Return to the welcome message, tap 'I already have Participate'.
- Tap 'Get Started'.
- Connect your headset if you haven’t already, and tap 'Next'.
- Enter your name and email address and tap 'Next'
NOTE: If you prefer anonymity, instruct Participants to enter their name as P1, 2,... and their email can simply be firstname.lastname@example.org
- Flick toggle buttons to 'Allow' camera and microphone recording
- Flick toggle button to 'Allow' screen recording
- Tap 'Start Now' and then 'Next'
- Once you get to the screen that says: “All set. We're just waiting for the other party to join,” please keep the app open while you wait for me to connect with you
- Around the start time of our interview, you should get a request in the app saying I'm trying to call you. Please hit 'Answer' so we can begin.
Please let me know if you have any questions. I look forward to chatting with you!
[Researcher’s First Name]
You'll probably need to modify the email template above to fit your exact research project. A few things you may want to include in your email:
- Details about what your interview will focus on
- Info about what a participant should do if they need to cancel or reschedule
- Reminder for participant to call from a place with strong wifi (we recommend at least 5Mbps for upload and download speeds) and no background noise
- Contract / Consent Form for participant to sign
- Links to an external survey etc (only if applicable).
Here's a guide to share with your Participants, to help them get up and running: Participating in a Live Research Session on your Android device.