There are times when the research participant is seated beside you at your lab or office and you have a chance to give instructions in-person and let the conversation flow. It's for times like this that we created the new seamless iOS In-Person LiveShare. And what's more? Other stakeholders can observe the session too.
Before the participant arrives:
Create a Round within a Project
- Log on to Lookback on your laptop/desktop and Create a LiveShare Round within a Project. Make sure to check 'iOS' when you select the 'Device requirements.' You can also choose to 'hide' 'Browser Controls' for iOS if necessary.
Prepare your QR code image
- Click into the relevant 'Project' and click 'Start In-Person' the beside the relevant 'Round.'
- Print or keep the mobile QR code available. You'll need it to start the LiveShare.
Invite members from your Lookback Org to observe
- Invite members from your Lookback Org in advance, so they can observe your Remote LiveShare session and take notes.
- Now you're done with your laptop/desktop.
Prepare your test device
- Pick up the compatible iOS device that the participant will be using and make sure it's connected to a strong Wifi connection and it's not affected by a Firewall.
- Download the Participate App from the App Store on the same iOS Device
You're now ready to start an In-Person LiveShare on your device.
When the participant arrives:
- Open the camera on your test device.
- Scan the QR code.
- Tap 'Open in Participate.'
- When the Participate App opens up you'll get a chance to 'Name your session.'
Hand over the iOS device to the participant
Help the participant follow the prompts and grant permissions as follows:
- When asked to 'Allow Notifications,' switch the the toggle button to green and tap 'Allow' and then 'Next' to be alerted in the unlikely case there's a technical issue during the session.
- Then tap 'Ok' and then "Next" to 'Turn on Camera.' If the participant doesn't want to share camera, they can choose to not allow camera access. But that means, they can't switch on camera again, once the session begins.
- Enable screen and mic recording
- Check Mic is 'On.' (Red means "On").
- Tap 'Start Broadcast.'
- Wait for 3 seconds.
Time to Test
- Now the participant will be taken to your 'Landing Page' (if you've set one) and you're ready to conduct your In-Person LiveShare.
- You know best. Give the participant instructions and tasks. Do your thing.
End your In-Person LiveShare
- When the test is all done, request your participant to tap the 'Red button' (Red Bar) on top of the screen, to end the session. And tap 'Stop' to reconfirm.
- When the participant is asked if they'd like to end the session, ask them to select 'End session.'
- Go ahead and tap End Session to end your session.
- Presto! You've successfully completed an iOS In-Person LiveShare with Lookback's New iOS Participate App.
- How to test Prototypes
- How to test Apps that have been released in the App/Play Store
- How to test unreleased Apps