Hey [Participant First Name],
Thanks for your willingness to participate in our research study. Please read this email carefully as it contains important information you need to know for this project.
Call Time & Date: [Start time - End time] on [Date]
We’re going to be chatting with you using the Participate App on your iOS device that will let me see your screen and record your face camera and our
conversation. Please follow these steps 5 minutes before our session starts:
- Check you're on a strong Wifi Connection and not affected by a Firewall.
- Open up this link [Live Link] on your iPhone/iPad. When it prompts you to install the Participate App, install it.
- Once the app has downloaded, tap on the above link again and click "I already have Participate", this time.
- Please read the welcome message from us (If applicable) and tap "Participate".
- Grab a headset with a built in microphone and tap "Skip".
- Enter your name and a valid email address and tap "Next".
- When asked to "Allow Notifications" switch the toggle button to green and tap "Allow" and then "Next".
- Then tap "Ok" and then "Next" to "Turn on Camera".
Follow the setup steps in the app to 'Record your Screen' and 'Turn on Mic':
- Turn on Mic (Red means "On")
- Tap "Start Broadcast"
- Wait for 3 seconds
- Once you get to the screen that says: “All set. We're just waiting for the other party to join,” please keep the app open while you wait for me to connect with you through the app.
- Around the start time of our interview, you should get a request in the app saying I'm trying to call you. Please hit “Answer” so we can begin chatting and testing.
- When you accept the call you'll see a website / prototype and hear my voice. If you'd like to see me just tap the bubble with the "hand icon".
- To go back to the website / prototype just tap the bubble with the "hand icon" again.
- When it's time to end the session, tap the "red button" (or the red bar) on your clock to hang up (on the top of your screen) and tap "Stop" to reconfirm.
Compensation: [Details of Compensation]
Please let me know if you have any questions. I look forward to chatting with you!
[Researcher’s First Name]
You'll probably need to modify the email template above to fit your exact research project. A few things you may want to include in your email:
- Details about what your interview will be focused on
- Info about what a participant should do if they need to cancel or reschedule
- Reminder for participant to call from a place with strong wifi and no background noise
- Contract for participant to sign
- External links to surveys etc.
Here's a link to a tutorial for Participants to setup and install the Participate app and Join a Live iOS test