Hi there [Participant First Name]!
Thanks for taking part in our research study! Please read this email carefully as it gives you information you need to be able to successfully participate in this project.
Call Time & Date: [Start time - End time] on [Date]
Compensation: [Details of Compensation]
We’re going to be chatting with you using the Participate App. The app will allow me, once you give your consent, to see and record your screen and face camera, as well as record our conversation.
5 minutes before our session:
- Get your headset! We strongly recommend you have a headset with a built-in microphone plugged into your iOS device, to reduce the risk of echo during the session and ensure good audio quality in the recording.
- Wifi. Make sure that you're on a strong and stable wifi connection. We recommend at 5Mbps minimum, for both uploading and downloading, as well as disable firewalls and vpns.
- Disable notifications/close any apps or windows that might reveal sensitive information (passwords, personal conversations etc). The conferencing tool we’ll use will record everything on your screen.
- Close apps that use audio/camera/screen sharing, as it can disturb/break the session.
Time to start the session!
- Open this link [Remote LiveShare Link] on your iOS device. If it's your first time using Lookback's app Participate, the link will lead you through prompts to download and 'Install Participate' from the App store.
- Return to the welcome message (or perhaps you already had Participate installed), tap 'I already have Participate'.
- Tap 'Get Started'.
- Connect your headset if you haven’t already, and tap 'Next'.
- Enter your name and email address and tap 'Next'. If you prefer to stay anonymous you can enter an alias (Participant 1 etc) and a fake e-mail, like email@example.com instead of your real name.
- Notifications. Toggle button to 'Allow' notifications.
- Camera. Toggle camera on/off (optional, required or disabled, depending on the researcher's preference)
- Mic. Toggle microphone to 'on' (not optional) and proceed.
- Share screen. You'll now see 'Share screen'. Click 'Next', then 'Start broadcasting', wait for the countdown 3-2-1, click outside the grey box (in the white) as shown here, then click 'Start session'.
- Session start. You'll now see the screen 'All set!', now click 'Start session'. This will notify me (the researcher/moderator), that you (as participant) are ready. Keep the app open while you wait for me to connect with you, even if you do something else while waiting.
- Accept call. When the session is about to start, you will get a call – tap 'Accept' and the session will start.
Please let me know if you have any questions. I look forward to chatting with you!
[Researcher’s First Name]
For the researcher
The template gives you relevant pointers that will help the participant succeed, but we recommend that you add information and details that are relevant to your particular project. A few additional things you may want to include in your email:
- Details about what your interview will be focused on
- Info about what a participant should do if they need to cancel or reschedule
- Reminder for the participant to connect from a place with strong wifi (guidelines for connection in this article) and no background noise
- Contract for participant to sign
- External links to surveys etc (can eg. be posted in your Final message)
- Here's an additional guide you can share with your Participants, that will help them get up and running: Participating in a Live Research Session on your Apple device