Hey [Participant First Name],
Thanks for your willingness to participate in our research study. Please read this email carefully as it contains important information you need to know for this project.
Call Time & Date: [Start time - End time] on [Date]
Compensation: [Details of Compensation]
As soon as you receive this email:
- We’re going to be chatting with you using the Participate App. The app will let me see your screen, record your face camera, and our conversation.
- To prepare for our session, please view this email on your iOS device and follow this link to install the app.
5 minutes before our session:
- Make sure you have a headset with a built-in microphone plugged into your iOS device. You can join the session in speaker mode, but a microphone will help reduce noise
- From your iOS device, follow this link to check that you're on a strong internet connection. We recommend at least 5Mbps available both for uploading and downloading
- Disable any notifications and close any other apps that might reveal sensitive information (passwords, personal conversations, etc.). The conferencing tool we’ll use will record everything on your screen.
Starting the session:
- Open up this link: [Remote LiveShare Link] on your iOS device
If the Participate app opens right away, proceed to Step 3
- If your browser app opens, tap "I already have Participate,” proceed to Step 3
- Read the message from us (If applicable) and tap "Get Started"
- Connect your headset if you haven’t already, and tap "Next"
- Enter your name and email address and tap "Next"
NOTE: If you prefer anonymity, instruct Participants to enter their name as P1, 2,... and their email can simply be email@example.com
- Flick toggle button to 'Allow' notifications
- Flick toggle buttons to 'Enable' camera
- Follow these steps to share your screen in the app to share your screen and turn on your microphone:
- Turn on Mic (Red means "On")
- Tap "Start Broadcast"
- Wait for 3 seconds
- On the “Using Bubble” screen, move the yellow hand around your screen as instructed, and tap the hand to start your session
- When you see the screen that says: “All set. We're just waiting for the other party to join,” please keep the app open while you wait for me to connect with you
- At the start time of our interview, you will get a request in the app saying I'm trying to call you. Please hit “Accept” so we can begin.
Please let me know if you have any questions. I look forward to chatting with you!
[Researcher’s First Name]
You'll probably need to modify the email template above to fit your exact research project. A few things you may want to include in your email:
- Details about what your interview will be focused on
- Info about what a participant should do if they need to cancel or reschedule
- Reminder for participant to call from a place with strong wifi (we recommend at least 5Mbps for upload and download speeds) and no background noise
- Contract for participant to sign
- External links to surveys etc.
Here's a guide to share with your Participants, to help them get up and running:
Participating in a Live Research Session on your Apple device