In a remote, live research session, you'll be able to see and speak to the researcher. The researcher will be able to see you, hear you, and observe your screen throughout the duration of the session. The goal of these sessions is to provide your honest perspective and feedback on their app, website, prototype, content, etc.
First things first
- Make sure you are on a compatible device and iOS version. You'll need iOS 12.2 and up of official releases. No beta versions.
- Install the Lookback Participate app onto your compatible iOS device before your scheduled session. The app will enable you to share your screen, record your face, and voice.
- Finally, check your internet connection from the location you'll be taking the study. Follow this link on your iOS device. We recommend at least at least 5Mbps available both for uploading and downloading.
5 minutes before the scheduled time
- Find your headphones with a built-in microphone for clear audio.
- Pick a quiet environment for your test.
- Read the communication from the researcher and find the [Test URL] . It should look something like https://participate.lookback.io/alpahnumeric-code?live.
- The Participate app should open right away, then tap “I already have Participate”
- Go ahead and click Get started.
Grab a headset
- Make sure you have a headset with a built-in microphone plugged into your iOS device.
Tell us who you are
- Fill in your name and email address. We don't do anything with this information. It goes to the Researcher once the session is completed.
- If the Researcher doesn't require you to share your real information, just get creative and make something up! It's ok as long as your email address follows the format firstname.lastname@example.org.
- This is just for us to alert you if there's a technical glitch during the session. Don't worry - we won't send any other kind of push notifications. Feel free to skip this step if necessary.
Turn on your camera
- Opt-in to share your camera with the Researcher. This allows them to see your face and reactions to their designs. You'll also be able to see their face.
- If you do not want to share your camera, make sure the Camera toggler pictured below is grey. However, you will need to start a new session if the Researcher prompts you to enable your camera.
To record your screen
(1) Notice Participate app is selected for Screen Broadcast. This is the intended app that will capture the screen recording during the session. Participate will only record the screen during the session, once you exit the app there will not be any further audio or video recording.
(2) Turn your microphone on. If the microphone is enabled and on it appears in red. This is good! If the microphone is disabled and off, it appears in grey. This needs to be red in order to continue.
(3) Tap start Broadcast. This starts the session recording. The Screen Broadcast recording icon will count down from 3 to 1. This will take a few moments and the prompt will auto dismiss.
For more details, read our article on iOS screen sharing.
Joining the call
Move the yellow hand around your screen as instructed, and tap the hand to start your session
The Researcher will be notified that you're ready and waiting!
- When the Researcher calls you, just tap Accept to answer to join the session.
Time to test
Voilà, now you can see the Researcher on your screen. And they can see you on their screen! Your session has officially begun! 🎉
Helpful tips along the way...
- Tap the following buttons to
- Tap the Hand icon to be taken back to other options (Instructions and Pause)
Ending your session
- Once you've completed the test, tap the Red Button (or red bar) on the top of your screen to end the session.
- Tap Stop to reconfirm that you'd like to stop recording the session.
- Tap End Session to end your session.