In a remote, live research session, you'll be able to see and speak to the researcher. The researcher will be able to see you, hear you, and observe your screen throughout the duration of the session. The goal of these sessions is to provide your honest perspective and feedback on their app, website, prototype, content, etc.
First things first
- Make sure you are on a compatible device and iOS version. You'll need iOS 12.2 and up of official releases. No beta versions.
- Make sure you're on a strong WiFi connection. We recommend at least 5Mbps.
- Have access to a wired or wireless headset with a built-in microphone.
5 minutes before the scheduled time
- Find a quiet spot to start the test
- Read the communication from the Researcher and locate and tap the [Test URL] . It should look something like:
- Read the welcome message from your Researcher and then tap 'Install Participate'
- Install the Participate App from the App store.
- Return to the welcome message and click 'I already have Participate'
Grab a headset
It's required to use wired or wireless headphones with a built-in microphone. They reduce background noise and cut out echo.
Tell us who you are
- Fill in your name and email address. We don't do anything with this information. It goes to the Researcher once the session is completed.
- If the Researcher doesn't require you to share your real information, just get creative and make something up! It's ok as long as your email address follows the format firstname.lastname@example.org.
- This is just for us to alert you if there's a technical glitch during the session. Don't worry - we won't send any other notifications after your study ends.
Turn on your camera and mic
- Typically the researcher would like to see your lovely face. But sometimes researchers don't require you to turn on your camera. In which case, you can skip this step.
- Turning on your Microphone is mandatory, though.
Share your screen
- The main aim of the test is for the researcher to observe how you interact with their website/app/ prototype. So 'Screen Broadcast' is required.
This only allows the researcher to see and record your screen. Don't worry, they can't control anything on your screen.
Tip! Before you enable screen recording, remember to close any apps or websites with sensitive info (like passwords etc), that you may have open on your phone, as the Participate app records everything that's displayed on your screen.
- Tap 'Start Broadcast'. And wait for the 3 -2-1 countdown.
- Tap outside the grey box to proceed.
Tip! For more detailed steps and troubleshooting tips, read our article on iOS screen sharing permissions.
- Tap 'OK' to reconfirm that the 'Participate App can access your Microphone'.
Joining the call
- When you see the 'All set!' message, you know you're on track. Just click 'Start session'.
- And the Researcher will be notified that you're ready and waiting!
Hold tight, they'll call you shortly.
- When the Researcher calls you, tap 'Accept' to join the session.
Time to test
Voilà, now you can see the researcher on your screen. And they can see you on their screen! Your session has officially begun! 🎉
Tip! Whenever you need to access the Instructions, tap Yellow Hand Bubble...
Ending your session
- Once you've completed the test, tap the 'Red Button' (or red bar) on the top of your screen to end the session.
- And then tap 'Stop'.
- Finally, tap 'End Session' again to reconfirm.
- Wait until you see the researcher's message to ensure your session is uploaded.
Bravo! Thanks for taking the time to participate in the session. 🌟
You can close the Participate App, the Browser and any other Apps you may have used during the test.