In a remote, live research session, you'll be able to see and speak to the researcher. The researcher will be able to see you, hear you, and observe your screen throughout the duration of the session. The goal of these sessions is to provide your honest perspective and feedback on their app, website, prototype, content, etc.
First things first
- Make sure you are on a compatible device and iOS version. You'll need iOS 12.2 and up of official releases. No beta versions.
- Install the Lookback Participate app onto your compatible iOS device before your scheduled session.
- From your device, follow this link to check that you're on a strong internet connection. We recommend at least 5Mbps.
- Have access to a wired or wireless headset with a built-in microphone.
5 minutes before the scheduled time
- Grab your wired or wireless headset with a built-in microphone
- Find a quiet spot to start the test
- Read the communication from the Researcher and locate the [Test URL] . It should look something like https://participate.lookback.io/alpahnumeric-code.
- The Participate app should open right away, then tap “I already have Participate”
Grab a headset
It's required to use wired or wireless headphones with a built-in microphone. They reduce background noise and cut out echo.
Tell us who you are
- Fill in your name and email address. We don't do anything with this information. It goes to the Researcher once the session is completed.
- If the Researcher doesn't require you to share your real information, just get creative and make something up! It's ok as long as your email address follows the format firstname.lastname@example.org.
- This is just for us to alert you if there's a technical glitch during the session. Don't worry - we won't send any other notifications after your study ends.
Turn on your camera
- Typically the Researcher would like to see your lovely face. If the Researcher hasn’t indicated to use your camera, you can decide to skip. You can't enable your camera again however, once the session begins.
- Microphone and Screen are required
Share your screen
- The main aim of the test is for the researcher to observe how you interact with their website/app/ prototype. So 'screen recording' is required.
Click Share screen. This only allows the researcher to see and record your screen. Don't worry, they can't control anything on your screen
Tip! Before you enable screen recording, remember to close any apps or websites with sensitive info (like passwords etc), that you may have open on your phone, as the Participate app records everything that's displayed on your screen.
- Notice Participate app is selected for Screen Broadcast. This is the intended app that will capture the screen recording during the session. Participate will only record the screen during the session, once you exit the app there will not be any further audio or video recording.
- Tap microphone on. If the microphone is disabled and off, it appears in grey.
Red means 'On'.
- Tap 'Start Broadcast'. The Screen Broadcast recording icon will count down from 3 to 1. For more details and troubleshooting tips, read our article on iOS screen sharing permissions.
If you haven't upgraded to iOS 14, after the countdown you'll be entered into
the study automatically.
If YOU HAVE upgraded to iOS 14, tap outside the box to proceed. Here are
details and new steps to follow in order to begin the study.
Joining the call
- Meet our Participate Bubble, the yellow hand icon. Move Bubble around your screen as instructed, and tap it to start your session.
- The Researcher will be notified that you're ready and waiting!
- When the Researcher calls you, just tap Accept to join the session.
Time to test
Voilà, now you can see the Researcher on your screen. And they can see you on their screen! Your session has officially begun! 🎉
- Whenever you need to access the Instructions, tap Bubble...
Ending your session
- Once you've completed the test, tap the Red Button (or red bar) on the top of your screen to end the session.
- And then tap End Session.
- Finally, tap End Session again to reconfirm.
- Wait until you see the stars and the Researcher's message to ensure your sessions uploads successfully.
Bravo! Thanks for taking the time to participate in the session. 🌟
You can close the Participate App, the Browser and any other Apps you may have used during the test.