When the Research Participant is seated beside you at your lab or office, you have a chance to give instructions in-person and let the conversation flow. It's for these times that we created the new seamless Android In-person experience. And guess what? Your stakeholders can observe the session too.
Before the Participant Arrives:
Create a Project
- Log on to Lookback on your laptop/desktop and Create a Project. Ensure you check 'Android' when you 'select the devices you’d like to test'.
Prepare your QR code image
- Click into your project and click on "In-person" on the top right corner. Print or keep the mobile QR code available. You'll need it to start the test.
- Click into your project and click on "Live" on the top right corner. Copy the "Observer Link" from the window that pops up.
- Email this link to Observers along with instructions, date and time of the In-person test. But first, check your Observers have already been added as 'Observers' to your 'Members page'.
- Now you're done with your laptop/desktop. Log out of Lookback on your laptop/desktop.
- Make sure you have a compatible Android device with a compatible Android OS version installed. You'll need OS version 'Android 6.0 Marshmallow (API 23)' or above.
When the Participant Arrives
Prepare your Test Device
- Pick up the Compatible Android device that the participant will be using and make sure it's connected to a Strong Wifi connection and it's not affected by a Firewall.
- Download the 'Participate App' from the Google Play Store on the same Android Device.
- Close all other websites and apps that display any sensitive info like passwords. Later Lookback Participate will be recording your Android device screen. Of course you don't want sensitive info being recorded!
- You're now ready to start an In-person test on the Android device
When the participant arrives
- Open the camera on your test device
- Scan the QR code
- Tap "Open in Participate"
- When the Participate App opens up you'll get a chance to "Name your session".
Hand over the Android device to the participant
Help the participant follow the prompts and enable camera, mic and screen recording:
- Flick the toggle buttons to 'Allow' camera, mic and screen recording.
- 'Allowing' camera recording is optional.
- But you must ''Allow' mic and screen recording to proceed, though.
- Once you swipe the toggle button beside 'Screen' go ahead and click "Start now", followed by "Next".
Time to Test
- It's now time to don your "moderator" hat and give your participant verbal instructions and tasks.
- 'Landing Page' will take the participant to the website or url-based prototype they'll be testing
- 'Instructions' will list out your tasks and written instructions for the participant
- 'Pause Session' will help Pause or End the test.
Tip! If you're testing an App or and App-based prototype, just request the participant to navigate away from the 'Lookback Participate App' to the App you want them to test. But don't close the Lookback Participate App!
Remember to End your In-person session
- When the participant is done, (ask them to navigate back to the Participate App if necessary) tap 'Pause Session'.
- And then tap 'End Session'.
- Not done, just yet!
- Tap 'End Session' again to reconfirm.
- Congratulations - one In-person session completed. Another feather in you cap!
- Oh ... just take a moment to log out of https://lookback.io/ on your phone, please.