In an unmoderated session, you'll read through instructions provided by your researcher. Please complete your session according to the timeframe shared with you. The goal of these sessions is to share your honest perspective and feedback on an app, website, prototype, content, etc. Remember to share your thoughts aloud — talk through what you expect will happen, what you didn't expect, any raise any issues or bugs.
First things first
- Make sure you are on a compatible device and iOS version. No beta versions.
- Install the Lookback Participate app onto your compatible iOS device before your scheduled session. The app will enable you to share your screen, record your face, and voice.
- From your device, follow this link to check that you're on a strong internet connection. We recommend at least 5Mbps.
- Grab a wired or wireless headset with a built-in microphone.
Before your session
- Grab your wired or wireless headset with a built-in microphone
- Find a quiet spot to start the test
- Read the communication from the Researcher and locate the [Test URL] . It should look something like https://participate.lookback.io/alpahnumeric-code.
- The Participate app should open right away, then tap “I already have Participate”
Grab a headset
It's required to use wired or wireless headphones with a built-in microphone. They reduce background noise and cut out echo.
Tell us who you are
- Fill in your name and an email address. Lookback doesn't use this info. It just goes straight to the Researcher once you complete the session.
- If the Researcher doesn't require you to share your real information, just get creative and make something up! It's ok as long as your email address follows the format email@example.com.
- This is just for us to alert you if there's a technical glitch during the session. Don't worry - we won't send any other notifications after your study ends.
Turn on your camera
- Typically the Researcher would like to see your lovely face. If the Researcher hasn’t indicated to use your camera, you can decide to skip. You can't enable your camera again however, once the session begins.
- Microphone and Screen are required
Share your screen
- The main aim of the test is for the researcher to observe how you interact with their website/app/ prototype. So 'screen recording' is required.
Click Share screen. This only allows the researcher to see and record your screen. Don't worry, they can't control anything on your screen
Tip! Before you enable screen recording, remember to close any apps or websites with sensitive info (like passwords etc), that you may have open on your phone, as the Participate app records everything that's displayed on your screen.
- Notice Participate app is selected for Screen Broadcast. This is the intended app that will capture the screen recording during the session. Participate will only record the screen during the session, once you exit the app there will not be any further audio or video recording.
- Tap microphone on. If the microphone is disabled and off, it appears in grey.
Red means 'On'.
- Tap 'Start Broadcast'. And wait for the 3 -2-1 countdown.
- Tap outside the grey box to proceed.
Tip! For more detailed steps and troubleshooting tips, read our article on iOS screen sharing permissions.
Joining the session
Meet our Participate Bubble, the yellow hand icon. Slide Bubble as instructed, and tap it to start your session.
Time to test
Voilà, now your session has officially begun! 🎉
- Whenever you need to access the Instructions, tap Bubble...
Ending your session
- Once you've completed the test, tap the Red Button (or red bar) on the top of your screen to end the session.
- And then tap Stop.
- Finally, tap End Session again to reconfirm.
- Wait until you see the Researcher's message to ensure your sessions uploads successfully.
Bravo! Thanks for taking the time to participate in the session. 🌟
You can close the Participate App, the Browser and any other Apps you may have used during the test.