In an unmoderated session, you'll read through instructions provided by your researcher to carry out the session. Please complete your session according to the timeframe shared with you. The goal of these sessions is to share your honest perspective and feedback on an app, website, prototype, content, etc. Remember to share your thoughts aloud — talk through what you expect will happen, what you didn't expect, and raise any issues or bugs.
First things first
- Make sure you are on a compatible device and iOS version. No beta versions.
- Make sure you're on a strong WiFi connection. We recommend at least 5Mbps.
- Grab a wired or wireless headset with a built-in microphone.
Before your session
- Find a quiet spot to start the test
- Read the communication from the Researcher and locate and tap the [Test URL] . It should look something like:
- Read the welcome message from your Researcher and then tap 'Install Participate'
- Install the Participate App from the App store. The app will enable you to share your screen, record your face, and voice.
- Return to the welcome message and click 'I already have Participate'.
Grab a headset
We recommend you use wired or wireless headphones with a built-in microphone. They reduce background noise and cut out echo.
Tell us who you are
- Fill in your name and an email address. Lookback doesn't use this info. It just goes straight to the Researcher once you complete the session.
- If the Researcher doesn't require you to share your real information, just get creative and make something up! It's ok as long as your email address follows the format email@example.com.
- This is just for us to alert you if there's a technical glitch during the session. Don't worry - we won't send any other notifications after your study ends.
Turn on your camera and mic
- Typically the Researcher would like to see your lovely face. If the Researcher hasn’t indicated to use your camera, you can skip this step.
- Turning on your Microphone is mandatory, though.
Share your screen
- The main aim of the test is for the researcher to observe how you interact with their website/app/ prototype. So 'Screen Broadcast' is required.
This only allows the researcher to see and record your screen. Don't worry, they can't control anything on your screen.
Tip! Before you enable screen recording, remember to close any apps or websites with sensitive info (like passwords etc), that you may have open on your phone, as the Participate app records everything that's displayed on your screen.
- Tap 'Start Broadcast'. And wait for the 3 -2-1 countdown.
- Tap outside the grey box to proceed.
Tip! For more detailed steps and troubleshooting tips, read our article on iOS screen sharing permissions.
- Tap 'OK' to reconfirm that the 'Participate App can access your Microphone'.
Joining the session
Meet our Participate Bubble, the yellow hand icon. Slide Bubble as instructed, and tap it to start your session.
Time to test
Voilà, now your session has officially begun! 🎉
Tip! Whenever you need to access the Instructions, tap Bubble...
Ending your session
- Once you've completed the test, tap the Red Button (or red bar) on the top of your screen to end the session.
- And then tap 'Stop'.
- Finally, tap 'End Session' again to reconfirm.
- Wait until you see the researcher's message to ensure your sessions uploads successfully.
Bravo! Thanks for taking the time to participate in the session. 🌟
You can now close the Participate App, the Browser and any other Apps you may have used during the test.