In an unmoderated session, you'll read through instructions provided by your researcher. Please complete your session according to the timeframe shared with you. The goal of these sessions is to share your honest perspective and feedback on an app, website, prototype, content, etc. Remember to share your thoughts aloud — talk through what you expect will happen, what you didn't expect, any raise any issues or bugs.
First things first
- Make sure you are on a compatible device and iOS version. No beta versions.
- Install the Lookback Participate app onto your compatible iOS device before your scheduled session. The app will enable you to share your screen, record your face, and voice.
NOTE: The app will record your screen, your face, and your voice.
- From your iOS device, follow this link to check that you're on a strong internet connection. We recommend at least at least 5Mbps available both for uploading and downloading.
- Finally, your headphones must have a built-in microphone — this reduces background noise and enhances sound quality.
Before your session
- Find a quiet spot to start the test
- Close any other apps, websites, and notifications with sensitive info like passwords etc.
- This is a remote unmoderated test so it's very important we hear you! Make sure you have a headset with a built-in microphone plugged into your device.
- Read the communication from the Researcher and locate the [Test URL] . It should look something like https://participate.lookback.io/alpahnumeric-code.
- The Participate app should open right away, then tap “I already have Participate”
- Go ahead and click Get started.
Grab a headset
It's important to use headphones with a built-in microphone. They reduce background noise and cut out echo. Tap "Next" once you've connected your headset.
Tell us who you are
- Fill in your name and an email address. Lookback doesn't use this info. It just goes straight to the Researcher once you complete the session.
- If you don't want to give your real name and email, just make something up
(as long as your email follows the format email@example.com).
- This is just for us to alert you if there's a technical glitch during the session. Don't worry - we won't send any other kind of push notifications. Feel free to skip this step if necessary.
Turn on your camera
- Opt-in to share your camera with the Researcher. This allows them to see your face and reactions to their designs. You'll also be able to see their face.
- If you do not want to share your camera, make sure the Camera toggler pictured below is grey. However, you will need to start a new session if the Researcher prompts you to enable your camera.
To record your screen
(1) Notice Participate app is selected for Screen Broadcast. This is the intended app that will capture the screen recording during the session. Participate will only record the screen during the session, once you exit the app there will not be any further audio or video recording.
(2) Turn your microphone on. If the microphone is enabled and on it appears in red. This is good! If the microphone is disabled and off, it appears in grey. This needs to be red in order to continue.
(3) Tap start Broadcast. This starts the session recording. The Screen Broadcast recording icon will count down from 3 to 1. This will take a few moments and the prompt will auto dismiss.
For more details, read our article on iOS screen sharing.
Joining the call
Move the yellow hand around your screen as instructed, and tap the hand to start your session
Start your session:
- Slide and tap the Bubble with the "Yellow Hand icon" to "Start" your session.
Time to test
Voilà, now you can see the Researcher on your screen. And they can see you on their screen! Your session has officially begun! 🎉
Helpful tips along the way...
- Tap the following buttons to
- ap the Hand icon to be taken back to other options (Instructions and Pause)
Ending your session
- Once you've completed the test, tap the Red Button (or red bar) on the top of your screen to end the session.
- Tap Stop to reconfirm that you'd like to stop recording the session.
- Tap End Session to end your session.