A Self-test is a remote, unmoderated test that you carry out for the Researcher at a time that's convenient to you
Take a minute to prep :
- Go through the communication from the Researcher and find the participate link (invitation link) to carry out the Self-Test. Keep it open in a window on your phone - as you'll need it more than once. It should look something like https://participate.lookback.io/alpahnumeric
- Ensure you are on a good WiFi Connection.
- Connect your headphones with a built-in microphone. This reduces background noise, enhances sound quality.
- Pick a quiet place to start the test
Install Lookback's Participate App
- Tap the participate link (invitation link) that the researcher sent you.
- If you are using the Participate App for the first time (if it hasn't been installed on your phone), you will be asked to "Install Participate" app on your phone from the Google Play Store.
- In the Google Play Store tap "INSTALL" to install the app for the first time on your phone.If you can't seem to find the app in the Google Play Store, it could possibly mean that your device is not compatible.
- Before installation begins you'll be reminded that "Participate" needs to access your Camera and Mic. Tap "Accept" to proceed.
Go back to the Participant Link
- Once the Participate App has been successfully installed, go back and tap the Participate link (Invitation link) that the researcher sent you again.
- However this time click "I already have Participate."
Tell us who you are
- Key in your name and email address. This info is for the Researcher - Lookback doesn't use it. If you don't feel like sharing your real name, feel free to create a pseudonym!
Enable camera and mic
- You can decide if you'd like to share your camera and mic with the Researcher. This allows them to see your facial reactions to their design and hear you speak your thoughts. If you do not want to share camera and mic, you can choose to "Skip this step" at the bottom right corner of the screen. Just remember, you can't enable your camera and mic again, once the session begins.
- Once you have enabled the microphone and camera, you can click on the "Next" button at the bottom of your screen.
You're about to start testing
- Don't forget - when the test begins, you can use the bubble with the "Yellow hand" icon to 'End' the test. If the bubble is in your way during the test, gently move it to the side.
- Now click "Start" to to proceed.
Final permission to record your screen
- Tap "Start Now" if you're happy for your screen to be recorded during the test.
Time to test
If your Researcher would like you to test a website or a prototype with a url, you'll be automatically taken to the relevant website or prototype url in a separate browser window.
- If they'd like you to test an App or something else, you'll be taken to the Android HomeScreen.
- Either way follow the instructions provided earlier (in the initial email or welcome message) by your Researcher to carry out the test.
Upload your test
- During the test you'll always notice the bubble with the "yellow hand icon". When you've completed you test, just tap the "yellow hand icon"
- Tap "End" to end recording the test.
- Not done, just yet!Tap "Yes! Upload it" to send your test straight to the Researcher
- Wait till 100% of the recording has been uploaded. This may take a while.
- While your session is uploading, please do keep the Participate App open. If you close the app your test will stop uploading!
- Also make sure you don't get disconnected from the WiFi
- It's also important to check your device is awake during upload (disable 'Lock Screen')
- Only when you see a screen that says "Awesome" has your test reached the Researcher. Or else your participation will not be acknowledged and you may not get the incentive from the Researcher.
- Now are you are finally "Done". You can close the Participate App, the Browser and any other Apps you may have used during the test.