In an unmoderated session, you'll read through instructions provided by your researcher. Please complete your session according to the timeframe asked of you. The goal of these sessions is to provide your honest perspective and feedback on an app, website, prototype, content, etc. Remember to share your thoughts aloud — talk through what you expect will happen, what you didn't expect, any be sure to raise any issues or bugs.
First things first
- Make sure you are on a compatible device and Android software version. You'll need Android 6.0 (Marshmallow) and up of official releases. No beta versions.
- Install the Lookback Participate app — it should take no more than 3 minutes.
NOTE: The app will record your screen, your face, and your voice.
- From your Android device, follow this link to check that you're on a strong internet connection. We recommend at least 5Mbps available both for uploading and downloading
- Finally, your headphones must have a built-in microphone — this reduces background noise and enhances sound quality.
Before your session
- Find a quiet spot to start the test
- Close any other apps, websites, and notifications with sensitive info like passwords etc.
- This is a remote unmoderated test so it's very important we hear you! Make sure you have a headset with a built-in microphone plugged into your device.
- Read the communication from the Researcher and locate the [Test URL] . It should look something like https://participate.lookback.io/alpahnumeric-code.
- The Participate app should open right away, then tap “I already have Participate”
- Go ahead and click Get started.
Grab a headset
It's important to use headphones with a built-in microphone. They reduce background noise and cut out echo. Tap "Next" once you've connected your headset.
Tell us who you are
- Fill in your name and an email address. Lookback doesn't use this info. It just goes straight to the Researcher once you complete the session.
- If you don't want to give your real name and email, just make something up
(as long as your email follows the format firstname.lastname@example.org).
Toggle to enable camera, mic and screen recording
- Typically the Researcher would like to see your lovely face. If the Researcher hasn’t indicated to use your camera, you can decide to skip.
Note: you can't enable your camera again, once the session begins.
- Microphone and Screen are required
Tip! Before you enable screen recording, remember to close any apps or websites with sensitive info (like passwords etc), that you may have open on your phone, as the Participate app records everything that's displayed on your screen.
3. Tap Start now. This starts the session recording
4. Tap Next.
Joining the session
- See the bubble with the 'Yellow hand icon'? During the session, tap it to go to the website/prototype that you're testing; or use it to pause or resume the session.
- Tap 'Open setting' to grant permission to display the small "Hand icon" on your screen.
- Turn the toggle button to the right to and 'Allow' the 'Participate Hand icon' to be displayed over apps.
- During the test you can gently slide the 'Hand icon' aside, if it's in your way.
- Now... just slide and tap the 'Hand icon' to start your test.
Time to test
- It's important that we can hear and understand you during your session, as we won't be able to ask questions. Remember to think out loud throughout the session, saying what you’re trying to do, what you expect to see, and if things aren’t working as expected
- Whenever you need to access the Instructions, tap the yellow hand
- If you’d like to pause the recording at any point, access the Instructions screen and tap "Pause". Tap "Resume" to continue.
Ending your session
- When it's time to end the test, (navigate back to the Participate App if necessary) tap Pause Session.
- And then tap End Session.
- Finally, tap End Session again to reconfirm.
- Important! : Wait till you see the stars (below) and the Researcher's message. This means your test recording has reached the Researcher.
- If not, your participation will not be acknowledged and you may not get the incentive from the Researcher.
Bravo! Thanks for taking the time to participate in the session. 🌟
You can close the Participate App, the Browser and any other Apps you may have used during the test.