In an unmoderated session, you'll read through instructions provided by your researcher. Please complete your session according to the timeframe asked of you. The goal of these sessions is to provide your honest perspective and feedback on an app, website, prototype, content, etc. Remember to share your thoughts aloud — talk through what you expect will happen, what you didn't expect, any be sure to raise any issues or bugs.
First things first
- Make sure you use a compatible device and Android software version. You'll need Android 6.0 (Marshmallow) and up of official releases. No beta versions.
- From your device, follow this link to check that you're on a strong internet connection. We recommend at least 5Mbps.
- Grab a wired or wireless headset with a built-in microphone.
Before your session
- Install the Lookback Participate app on your device — super quick and easy!
- Find a quiet spot to start the test
- Read the communication from the Researcher and locate the [Test URL] . It should look something like https://participate.lookback.io/alpahnumeric-code.
- The Participate app should open right away, then tap “I already have Participate”
Grab a headset
It's required to use wired or wireless headphones with a built-in microphone. They reduce background noise and cut out echo.
Tell us who you are
- Fill in your name and an email address. Lookback doesn't use this info. It just goes straight to the Researcher once you complete the session.
- If the Researcher doesn't require you to share your real information, just get creative and make something up! It's ok as long as your email address follows the format email@example.com.
Toggle to enable camera, mic and screen recording
- Typically the Researcher would like to see your lovely face. If the Researcher hasn’t indicated to use your camera, you can decide to skip. You can't enable your camera again however, once the session begins.
- Microphone and Screen are required
Tip! Before you enable screen recording, remember to close any apps or websites with sensitive info (like passwords etc), that you may have open on your phone, as the Participate app records everything that's displayed on your screen.
3. Tap Start now.
Joining the session
- Meet our Participate Bubble, the yellow hand icon. During the session, tap it to go to the website/prototype you're testing, or to pause or resume the session.
- Tap 'Open setting' and 'allow' Bubble to display on your screen.
- Toggle button to 'Allow' Bubble to be displayed over apps.
- During the test, slide Bubble up or down, if it's in your way.
- Now... just slide and tap Bubble to start your test.
Time to test
- It's important that we can hear your thoughts during your session, as we won't be able to ask questions. Think aloud throughout the session, saying what you’re trying to do, what you expect to see, and if things aren’t working as expected.
- Whenever you need to access the Instructions, tap Bubble...
Ending your session
- When it's time to end the test, (navigate back to the Participate App if necessary) tap Pause Session.
- And then tap End Session.
- Finally, tap End Session again to reconfirm.
- Wait until you see the stars and the Researcher's message. Otherwise, your participation will not be captured and you may not receive your incentive from your Researcher.
Bravo! Thanks for taking the time to participate in the session. 🌟
You can close the Participate App, the Browser and any other Apps you may have used during the test.