In a remote, live research session, you'll be able to see and speak to the researcher. The researcher will be able to see you, hear you, and observe your screen throughout the duration of the session. The goal of these sessions is to provide your honest perspective and feedback on their app, website, prototype, content, etc.
First things first
- Make sure you are on a compatible device and Android software version. You'll need Android 6.0 (Marshmallow) and up of official releases. No beta versions.
- Install the Lookback Participate app onto your compatible Android device before your scheduled session
- Finally, check your internet connection from the location you'll be taking the study. Paste this link into your Chrome browser. We recommend at least at least 5Mbps available both for uploading and downloading.
5 minutes before the scheduled time
- Find your headphones with a built-in microphone for clear audio.
- Pick a quiet environment for your test.
- Read the communication from the researcher and find the [Test URL] . It should look something like https://participate.lookback.io/alpahnumeric-code?live.
- The Participate app should open right away, then tap “I already have Participate”
- Go ahead and click Get started.
Grab a headset
- Make sure you have a headset with a built-in microphone plugged into your iOS device.
Tell us who you are
- Fill in your name and email address. We don't do anything with this information. It goes to the Researcher once the session is completed.
- If the Researcher doesn't require you to share your real information, just get creative and make something up! It's ok as long as your email address follows the format firstname.lastname@example.org.
Toggle to enable camera, mic and screen recording
- Opt-in to share your camera with the Researcher. This allows them to see your face and reactions to their design. You'll be able to see their face too. If you do not want to share your camera, make sure the Camera toggler pictured below is grey. However, you will need to start a new session if the Researcher prompts you to enable your camera
- Microphone and Screen are required
Tip! Before you enable screen recording, remember to close any apps or websites with sensitive info (like passwords etc), that you may have open on your phone, as the Participate app records everything that's displayed on your scr
3. Tap Start now. This starts the session recording
4. Tap Next.
Joining the call
- Once you've completed the above, you'll land on a screen that says:"All set. We're just waiting for the other party to join."
- The Researcher will be notified that you're ready and waiting! Just tap to answer their call.
- When the Researcher calls you, just tap Accept to answer to join the session.
Time to test
Voilà, now you can see the Researcher on your screen. And they can see you on their screen! Your session has officially begun! 🎉ll.
Helpful tips along the way...
- Tap the following buttons to
Tip! If you're testing an App, just navigate away from the "Participate App" to the App you're required to test. (But remember - don't close the Participate App!)
Ending your session
- When it's time to end the test, (navigate back to the Participate App if necessary) tap Pause Session.
- And then tap End Session.
- Finally, tap End Session again to reconfirm.