In a remote, live research session, you'll be able to see and speak to the researcher. The researcher will be able to see you, hear you, and observe your screen throughout the duration of the session. The goal of these sessions is to provide your honest perspective and feedback on their app, website, prototype, content, etc.
First things first
- Make sure you use a compatible device and Android software version. You'll need Android 6.0 (Marshmallow) and up of official releases. No beta versions.
- Make sure you're on a strong WiFi connection. We recommend at least 5Mbps.
- Have access to a wired or wireless headset with a built-in microphone.
5 minutes before the scheduled time
- Find a quiet spot to start the test
- Read the communication from the Researcher and locate and tap the [Test URL] . It should look something like:
- Read the welcome message from your Researcher and then tap 'Install Participate'
- 'Install' the Participate App from the Play Store.
- Return to the welcome message and click 'I already have Participate'
Grab a headset
It's required to use wired or wireless headphones with a built-in microphone. They reduce background noise and cut out echo.
Tell us who you are
- Fill in your name and email address. We don't do anything with this information. It goes to the Researcher once the session is completed.
- If the Researcher doesn't require you to share your real information, just get creative and make something up! It's ok as long as your email address follows the format firstname.lastname@example.org.
Toggle to enable camera, mic and screen recording
- Typically the Researcher would like to see your lovely face. If the Researcher hasn’t indicated to use your camera, you can decide to skip.
- Microphone and Screen are required
Tip! Before you enable screen recording, remember to close any apps or websites with sensitive info (like passwords etc), that you may have open on your phone, as the Participate app records everything that's displayed on your screen.
3. Tap 'Start now'. This starts the session recording
Joining the call
- Once you've completed the above, you'll land on a screen that says: 'All set. We're just waiting for the other party to join.'
- The Researcher will be notified that you're ready and waiting! Hold tight, they'll call you shortly.
- When the Researcher calls you, just tap 'Accept' to answer to join the session.
Time to test
Voilà, now you can see the Researcher on your screen. And they can see you on their screen! Your session has officially begun! 🎉
- Whenever you need to access the Instructions, tap Yellow Hand Bubble...
Tip! If you're testing an App, just navigate away from the 'Participate App' to the App you're required to test. (But remember - don't close the Participate App!)
Ending your session
- Navigate back to the Participate App (if necessary) and tap 'Pause Session'.
- And then tap 'End Session'.
- Finally, tap 'End Session' again to reconfirm.
- Wait until you see the stars and the Researcher's message to ensure your sessions uploads successfully.
Bravo! Thanks for taking the time to join the session. 🌟
You can close the Participate App, the Browser and any other Apps you may have used during the test.