To start with:
- Remember the 'Participant Link' (Invitation / Testing Link) the Researcher provided to join the Live session? Find it and keep it open in a window on your Android device. You'll need it twice. It should look something like https://participate.lookback.io/alpahnumeric-code?live
- Check you're on a strong WiFi Connection and you're not affected by a Firewall.
- Find your headphones with a built-in microphone for audio clarity.
- Choose a quiet environment for your Live test.
Just before the scheduled time:
- Click (tap) the participate link that the researcher sent you.
- If you are using Participate for the first time (that's if it's not been installed on your phone before), you'll be asked to "Install Participate" app on your Android Phone from the Google Play Store.
- Tap "INSTALL" in the Google Play Store to install Lookback's "Participate" app. If you don't find the app in the Google Play Store, it probably means that your Android device is incompatible.
- Before installation begins you'll be reminded that "Participate" needs to access your Camera and Mic. Tap "Accept" to proceed.
Return to the Participant Link
- Now that the "Participate" App has been installed, just go back and tap the Participanty link (Invitation link) that the researcher sent you.
- This time around, tap "I already have Participate."
Tell us who you are
- Provide your name and email address for the Researcher. Worry not - Lookback doesn't use this info. But if you don't want to use your real name, just get creative and make something up!
Enable camera and mic
- Sharing your camera and mic allows the Researcher to see your facial reactions to their design and speak to you over a direct voice call. You'll have to enable mic to proceed, but enabling camera is optional. Remember, you can't choose to turn on camera, once the session begins, though.
- Once you have enabled the microphone (and camera), you can click on the "Next" button at the bottom of your screen.
Connect your headset!
Headphones with a built-in microphone are essential. They reduce background noise and prevent echo. Tap "Next" once you've connected your headset.
The "Yellow Hand"
- Remember - when the test starts, you can use the bubble with the "Yellow hand" icon to 'End' the test or see the Researcher/Moderator.
- If you're testing a website or prototype with a url, your Researcher/Moderator may also ask you to tap the "Yellow Hand" to be taken to the relevant website or prototype.
- If the bubble gets in your way during the test, gently flick it to the side.
- But for now just tap "Start" to to proceed.
Final permission to record your screen
- Tap "Start Now" if you're happy for your screen to be recorded during the test.
The Moderator will join you soon
- If you see a screen that says "All set. We're waiting for the other party to join", that's great. It means you're on track.
- Just hold tight and keep your "Participate" App open. The Researcher/Moderator will be notified that you're ready and waiting!
- When the Researcher/Moderator calls you at the specified time, via the Participate App just tap "Start" to answer their call.
Time to Test
- Ta-da! Now you can see the Researcher/Moderator on your screen. And they can see you on theirs! Your "Live" session is officially underway.
- Follow the instructions provided by your Researcher/Moderator over the call.
Remember to End the test
- When it's time to end the test, tap the "Yellow hand" bubble. And then tap "End".
- Tap "End" again to reconfirm.
- Awesome! Now are you are officially "Done". You can close the Participate App, the Browser and any other Apps you may have used during the test.