First things first:
- Make sure you are on a compatible device and iOS version. You'll need iOS 12.2 and up of official releases. No beta versions. If your iOS device has the right iOS version - it will be compatible with Lookback.
- Have the participate link ready that the Researcher provided you to join the session. Keep it open in a window as you may need to access it more than once. It should look something like https://participate.lookback.io/alpahnumeric-code?live
- Make sure you are on a strong WiFi Connection
- Grab some headphones with a built-in microphone so that the audio is clear. It is best if you do this before the session starts, not during.
Just before the scheduled time:
- Click (tap) the participate link that the researcher sent you.
- If you are using Participate for the first time (it is not downloaded onto your phone), you will be asked to "Install Participate" app on your iPhone/iPad from the App Store.
In the App Store select GET to install the app for the first time or the cloud icon to download it again:
Once it has downloaded you can tap OPEN button from the App Store installed the Participate app, you'll be asked to reconfirm that you've been invited to a Research Session. Click "Yes".
Then go back and tap the Participate link that the researcher sent you again. It will automatically open in the Participate app this time. If you have already downloaded Participate prior to the session, tap "I already have Participate."
Grab a headset!
It's important to do this before the session starts. Headphones with a built-in microphone will help reduce background noise. Tap "Next" once you have done this
Tell us who you are
Fill in your name and email address. We don't do anything with this information. It goes to the Researcher once the session is completed.
This is only so we can alert you if something technical goes wrong with the session. You can skip this step if necessary. We won't send any push notifications otherwise.
Turn on your camera
Opt-in to share your camera with the Researcher. This allows them to see your face and reactions to their design. You'll be able to see their face too. If you do not want to share camera, you can decide to skip. However, you will need to restart a new session if the researcher prompts you to enable your camera.
To record your screen
Follow instructions to start Screen Broadcast : view a more detailed walk-through here
First, You will see that the Participate app is selected for Screen Broadcast. This is the intended app that will capture the screen recording during the session. Participate will only record the screen during the session, once you exit the app there will not be any further audio or video recording.
Second, turn your microphone on. If the microphone is enabled and on it appears in red. This is good! If the microphone is disabled and off, it appears in grey. This needs to be red in order to continue.
Third, tap start Broadcast. This starts the session recording. The Screen Broadcast recording icon will count down from 3 to 1. This will take a few moments and the prompt will auto dismiss.
Start your testing session:
See the bubble with the 'Yellow hand icon'? During the session, tap it to go to the website/prototype that you're testing; or use it to pause or resume the session. Go ahead and practice using the bubble.
Then tap the Bubble with the "Yellow Hand icon" to "Start" your test.
Now you're set. The Researcher will be notified that you're ready and waiting! Just tap to answer their call.
Voilà, now you can see the Researcher on your screen. And they can see you on their screen! Your session has officially begun! 🎉
You can always end the session by tapping the red icon on your clock to hang up:
Then tap "Stop" and "Yes, end session" to reconfirm.