Hey [Participant First Name],
Thanks for your willingness to participate in our research study. Please read this email carefully as it contains important information you need to know for this project.
We’re going to capture your feedback through an app that will record your phone screen, face video, and audio. Here are the setup instructions:
- Open up this link [Self-Test Link] on your phone. When it prompts you to install the Participate App, install it.
- Once the app has downloaded, tap on the above link again. This time, click on the second button that says "Participate."
- Follow the setup steps in the app. Make sure to enable access to your mic, screen, and camera.
- Once you click "Start!" after completing the app setup, you can start providing feedback on our product.
- If you’d like to pause the session at any point, you can click on the circular Participate icon (yellow hand) to the side of the screen. This will pause the session. Hit "Resume" to unpause.
- To end the session, click on the circular Participate icon (yellow hand) to the side of the screen and hit "End." Then click "Yes! Upload it!"
- Wait for the screen that shows your uploading progress until it reaches 100% and you see a screen that says "Awesome! Your experience was uploaded!" Please do not immediately quit out of the app, since doing this will prevent the recording from uploading.
Call Time & Date: [Start time - End time] on [Date]
Compensation: [Details of Compensation]
Please let me know if you have any questions. I look forward to chatting with you!
[Researcher’s First Name]
You likely will need to modify the email template above to fit your exact research project. A few things you may want to include in your email:
- Instructions regarding what the participant should do during interview (tasks to complete, questions to answer, etc.)
- Info about what a participant should do if they need to cancel or reschedule
- Instructions asking participant to call from a place with strong wifi and no background noise
- Contract for participant to sign
Here's a link to a tutorial for Participants to help them setup and install the Participate app Self-Test on iOS: A tutorial for Participants