Hey [Participant First Name],
Thanks for your willingness to participate in our research study. Please read this email carefully as it contains important information you need to know for this project.
Call Time & Date: [Start time - End time] on [Date]
Compensation: [Details of Compensation]
As soon as you receive this email:
- We’ll capture your feedback using the Participate App. Follow this link to install the app on your Android device - it will let me see your screen, your camera, and your voice.
- Disable any notifications and close any other apps that might reveal sensitive information (passwords, personal conversations, etc.). The conferencing tool we’ll use will record everything on your screen.
Prepping for your session:
- Make sure you have a headset with a built-in microphone plugged into your device. You can join the session in speaker mode, but a microphone will help reduce noise.
- Close any other apps, websites, and notifications with sensitive info like passwords etc.
- From your device, follow this link to check you're on a strong internet connection. We recommend at least 5Mbps available both for uploading and downloading.
When you're ready to begin:
- There will not be a "moderator" and you will be completing the test in your own time, by yourself. It's important that we can hear and understand you, as we won't be able to ask questions during the test. Please speak aloud throughout the study so we can gather your thoughts and perspectives.
- Close any apps and websites with sensitive info like passwords etc.
- Open up this link: [SelfTest Link] on your Android device
- When prompted to pick an app to open the link, tap ‘Participate’
- Tap 'Get Started'.
- Connect your headset if you haven’t already, and tap "Next"
- Enter your name and email address and tap "Next"
NOTE: If you prefer anonymity, instruct Participants to enter their name as P1, 2,... and their email can simply be email@example.com
- When asked to "Allow Notifications" switch the toggle button to green and tap "Allow" and then "Next"
- When asked to “Turn on your camera”, tap "Ok" and then "Next"
- Flick toggle button to 'Allow' screen recording.
- Tap 'Start Now' and then "Next".
- Tap 'Open setting" and flick toggle button to grant permission to display small "Hand icon" on your screen.
- Slide and tap the 'Hand icon' to start your test.
- It's important that we can hear and understand you during your session, as we won't be able to ask questions. Remember to think out loud throughout the session, saying what you’re trying to do, what you expect to see, and if things aren’t working as expected
- Whenever you need to access the Instructions, tap the yellow hand
- If you’d like to pause the recording at any point, access the Instructions screen and tap "Pause". Tap "Resume" to continue.
- When you’re ready to end your session, tap on the Participate 'hand icon’ on your screen and tap 'Pause Session' and 'End Session'.
- Tap 'End session' again, to reconfirm.
- Wait until you see stars on your screen. Tap "Done" to close the test session.
Please let me know if you have any questions
[Researcher’s First Name]
We encourage you to modify the email template above to fit your needs. A few things you may want to include in your email:
- Instructions regarding what the participant should do (tasks to complete, questions to answer, etc.)
- If the participant is testing a website or URL-based prototype, include instructions to tap 'Landing Page' (only if applicable)
- If the participant is testing an App or or App-based prototype, include instructions on how to navigate away from the Participate App to your App (only if applicable)
- Info about what a participant should do if they need to cancel or reschedule
- Instructions asking participant to complete the test with strong WiFi
(we recommend at least 5Mbps for upload and download speeds)
- Contract / Consent Form for participant to sign
- Links to an external survey etc (only if applicable)
Here's a link to a tutorial to help Participants setup and install the Participate app and carry out Participant Guide: SelfTest on Android.