Thanks for your willingness to participate in our research study. Please read this email carefully as it contains important information you need to know for this project.
Compensation: [Details of Compensation]
As soon as you receive this email:
- On your desktop or laptop computer, please download and install the Google Chrome Browser if you don’t already have it. We will be recording your screen, camera, and voice.
- Disable any notifications and close any other apps that might reveal sensitive information (passwords, personal conversations, etc.). The conferencing tool we’ll use will record everything on your screen.
Prepping for your session:
- Make sure you have a headset with a built-in microphone plugged in — you may also use any Bluetooth-enabled headset. If using a Bluetooth-enabled headset, ensure they are properly charged.
- Close any other apps, websites, and notifications with sensitive info like passwords etc.
- Follow this link to check you're on a strong internet connection. We recommend at least 5Mbps available both for uploading and downloading.
There will not be a moderator during this study, you will be completing the test on your own. It's important that we can hear and understand you, as we won't be able to ask questions during the test.
- Open up this link [SelfTest Link] on your Chrome browser.
- Follow the prompts to 'Install Extension'.
- Then click 'Get Started'.
- Enter your name and email address and tap 'Next'.
NOTE: If you prefer anonymity, instruct Participants to enter their name as
P1, P2,... and their email can simply be email@example.com
- Connect your headset if you haven’t already.
- Select Audio and tap 'Next'.
NOTE: If you are testing using a screen reader, select your External Speakers from the audio drop down menu.
- Select Camera [optional - up to you as the moderator to specify]
- Click 'Share Screen', select Display for screen sharing and click 'Share'.
NOTE: If you get stuck at this screen it's likely due to privacy settings that need to be updated, due to Apple's release of Catalina. Read about how, here.
- Follow the instructions on the 'Instructions Panel' (right-hand window)
Remember to think out loud throughout the session, saying what you’re trying to do, what you expect to see, and if things aren’t working as expected
- If you’d like to pause the session at any point you can click 'Pause' on the 'Instructions Panel'.
- When you are ready to end the session, click 'End' on the 'Instructions Panel'. Click 'End Session' agin to reconfirm.
Please let me know if you have any questions. I look forward to chatting with you!
[Researcher’s First Name]
You'll probably need to modify the email template above to fit your exact research project. A few things you may want to include in your email:
- Instructions regarding what the participant should do (tasks to complete, questions to answer, etc.)
- If the participant is testing a website or a Prototype viewed via a URL, include instructions to tap 'Landing Page' (only if applicable)
- Reminder for participant to call from a place with strong wifi (we recommend at least 5Mbps for upload and download speeds) and no background noise
- Contract / Consent Form for participant to sign
- Links to an external survey etc (only if applicable)