A Self-Test is a remote, unmoderated test that you carry out for the Researcher at any time that suits you.
- Find a quiet corner.
- Connect your headphones (with built-in mic). Headphones cut out background noise and improve the quality of sound.
- Make sure you're on a good Wifi Connection.
- Check you have an up-to-date version of Chrome on your desktop/laptop. If not you can download Chrome at https://www.google.com/chrome/
- Read the communication from the Researcher and find the participant link (invitation link) for the Self-Test. It should look something like https://participate.lookback.io/alpahnumeric.
Install the Participate Chrome Extension
- Open the Self-Test link that the Researcher sent you, in a Chrome Browser.
Click "Install extension", when prompted to install Lookback's 'Participate Chrome Extension'. It'll just take a few seconds.
- When you're taken to the Chrome Web Store, click "Add to Chrome".
- Read the notification and click "Add extension" to reconfirm.
- Now that you're all set - you'll see a 'Welcome message" from you Researcher.
- Go on and click "Get Started"
Tell us who you are
- Type your name and email address for the Researcher. If you're not keen on sharing your real name and email, make something up. Just remember to follow the firstname.lastname@example.org format for email.
- Check your headphones are connected properly and choose a Mic from the dropdown menu. Remember you can't continue the test without enabling Mic.
- Enabling Camera is optional but highly recommended. You can choose to skip this step if necessary. You won't be able to enable camera later on in the session if you have
- Since the aim of the test is for the Researcher to observe how you interact with their website/app/ prototype, 'screen recording' is required.
Click "Share Screen". This only allows the Researcher to see and record your screen. Not to worry - they can't control anything on your screen.
- In the window that pops up select the the image of your desktop Screen and click "Share" to proceed.
Time to test
If your Researcher would like you to test a website or a prototype with a url, you'll automatically see the relevant website or prototype url in a separate browser window.
- If they'd like you to test an App or something else you'll just see the initial 'Welcome Message' in your Browser.
- Regardless, just follow the instructions from your Researcher on the "Task" Panel to the right of the Browser (or in the initial email or welcome message).
- Remember you can "Pause" the test at anytime by clicking the "Pause" button on the top right corner.
Upload your test
- When you've completed you test, just click "End Session" on the "Task" panel.
- Just a few more steps....
Tap "Yes, end and upload " to send the recording of your test to the Researcher.
- This may take a while - thank you for your patience. While your recording is uploading, please:
-Ensure you're connected to WiFi
-Keep Chrome open
-Disable 'Lock Screen' on your Desktop/laptop
-Do not uninstall the Chrome Participate extension
- Once upload reaches 100% click "Next".
- When you see a message that says "Thank you for Participating" you've officially completed and submitted your test to your Researcher.
Wait for this message to be assured of receiving compensation (if applicable).