In an unmoderated session, you'll read through instructions provided by your researcher. Please complete your session according to the timeframe shared with you. The goal of these sessions is to share your honest perspective and feedback on an app, website, prototype, content, etc. Remember to share your thoughts aloud — talk through what you expect will happen, what you didn't expect, any raise any issues or bugs.
First things first
- You're going to be chatting with us using a web conferencing platform on the Google Chrome browser.
- If you already have Chrome installed, make sure you have the most up-to-date version.'Finally, paste this link into your Chrome browser to check that you're on a strong internet connection. We recommend at least 5Mbps.
Before your session
- Grab your wired or wireless headset with a built-in microphone
- If you don't have Chrome on your desktop, please download and install the Google Chrome Browser. Read the notification and click "Add extension" to reconfirm.
- Find a quiet spot to start the test
- Read the communication from the Researcher and locate the [Test URL] . It should look something like https://participate.lookback.io/alpahnumeric-code.
- The Participate app should open right away, then tap “I already have Participate”
Grab a headset
It's required to use wired or wireless headphones with a built-in microphone. They reduce background noise and cut out echo.
Tell us who you are
- Fill in your name and email address. We don't do anything with this information. It goes to the Researcher once the session is completed.
- If the Researcher doesn't require you to share your real information, just get creative and make something up! It's ok as long as your email address follows the format firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Make sure your headphones are connected properly and choose a mic from the dropdown menu. You won't be able to continue the test without enabling mic.
Turn on your camera
- Typically the Researcher would like to see your lovely face. If the Researcher hasn’t indicated to use your camera, you can decide to skip. You can't enable your camera again however, once the session begins.
- Microphone and Screen are required
Share your screen
- 'Screen recording' is required. This only allows the researcher to see and record your screen. Don't worry, they can't control anything on your screen.
- Are you a Mac/Catalina user who's not able to start a Desktop test? Read this article on how to troubleshoot.
Tip! Before you enable screen recording, remember to close any apps or websites with sensitive info (like passwords etc), that you may have open on your phone, as the Participate app records everything that's displayed on your screen.
- In the window that pops up, select the the image of your desktop/laptop screen and click Share to proceed.
- "Share" button greyed out? Just click the the image of your desktop/laptop screen in the window above. Presto!
Time to test
Voilà, now you can see the Researcher on your screen. And they can see you on their screen! Your session has officially begun! 🎉
- If you are asked to test a Desktop App, just navigate away from the Chrome window to that app, however keep the Chrome window open.
Ending your session
- When it's time to end the test, (navigate back to the Participate App if necessary) tap Pause Session.
- And then tap End Session.
- Finally, tap End Session again to reconfirm.
- Wait until you see the stars and the Researcher's message. Otherwise, your participation will not be captured and you may not receive your incentive from your Researcher.
Bravo! Thanks for taking the time to join the session. 🌟
Now you can go ahead and close this window and all windows associated with the test. You can also "remove" the "Participate Chrome Extension" if you'd like.