Hey [Participant First Name],
Thanks for your willingness to participate in our research study. Please read this email carefully as it contains important information you need to know for this project.
This is a remote unmoderated test so it's very important we hear you! Please speak aloud throughout the study so we can gather your thoughts and perspectives.
Call Time & Date: [Start time - End time] on [Date]
We will capture your feedback through an app that will record your phone screen, face video, and audio. Please follow these steps to start testing:
- Check you're on a good Wifi Connection.
- Open up this link [Self-Test Link] on your phone. When it prompts you to install the Participate App, install it.
- Once the app has downloaded, tap on the above link again and click "I already have Participate", this time.
- Please read the welcome message from us (If applicable) and tap "Participate".
- Connect a headset with a built in microphone and tap "Skip".
- Enter your name and a valid email address and tap "Next".
- When asked to "Allow Notifications" switch the toggle button to green and tap "Allow" and then "Next".
- Then tap "Ok" and then "Next" to "Turn on Camera".
Follow the setup steps in the app to 'Record your Screen' and 'Turn on Mic':
- Turn on Mic (Red means "On")
- Tap "Start Broadcast"
- Wait for 3 seconds
- During your session you can use the Bubble with the "Yellow Hand icon" to go to our website / prototype (that you'll be testing) or to pause or resume the session. Go ahead and practice using the bubble.
- Just tap the Bubble with the "Hand icon" to "Start" providing feedback on our product.
- Read our instructions and tap the Bubble with the "Yellow Hand icon" again to be taken to our website / prototype (if applicable).
- If you need to refer to our instructions again, tap the Bubble with the "Yellow Hand icon"
- If you’d like to pause the session at any point, tap "Pause" on the "Instructions Screen". Tap "Resume" to continue.
- Once you're done reviewing our product, tap the "Red Button" (or "Red Bar") on top of your screen to "End Session. And tap "Stop" to reconfirm.
- Click "Yes, end and upload" and remember to:
- Keep the Participate App open
- Ensure your device is awake while uploading happens (disable 'Lock Screen')
- Wait for the screen that shows your uploading progress until it reaches 100%. Tap "Done" to close the test session.
Compensation: [Details of Compensation]
Please let me know if you have any questions.
[Researcher’s First Name]
You'll probably need to modify the email template above to fit your exact research project. A few things you may want to include in your email:
- Instructions regarding what the participant should do during interview (tasks to complete, questions to answer, etc.)
- If participants are testing an App - Instructions on how to navigate away from the Participate App to your App (only if applicable)
- Info about what a participant should do if they need to cancel or reschedule
- Reminder for the participant to test from a place with strong wifi and no background noise
- Contract for participant to sign
- External links to surveys etc
Here's a link to a Tutorial for Participants: Self-Test on iOS