Hey [Participant First Name],
Thanks for your willingness to participate in our research study. Please read this email carefully as it contains important information you need to know for this project.
Call Time & Date: [Start time - End time] on [Date]
Compensation: [Details of Compensation]
We’re going to be chatting with you using the Participate App - it will let me see your screen, record your front-facing camera, and voice.
As soon as you receive this email:
- Disable any notifications and close any other apps that might reveal sensitive information (passwords, personal conversations, etc.). The conferencing tool we’ll use will record everything on your screen.
Prepping for your session:
- Make sure you have a headset with a built-in microphone plugged into your iOS device. You can join the session in speaker mode, but a microphone will help reduce noise.
- Close any other apps, websites, and notifications with sensitive info like passwords etc.
- From your device, follow this link to check you're on a strong internet connection. We recommend at least 5Mbps available both for uploading and downloading.
When you're ready to begin:
- There will not be a "moderator" and you will be completing the test in your own time, by yourself. It's important that we can hear and understand you, as we won't be able to ask questions during the test. Please speak aloud throughout the study so we can gather your thoughts and perspectives.
- Open up this link: [SelfTest Link] on your iOS device
- Read the welcome message from us (If applicable), then tap 'Install Participate' and install the App from the App store.
- Return to the welcome message, tap 'I already have Participate'.
- Tap 'Get Started'.
- Connect your headset if you haven’t already, and tap 'Next'.
- Enter your name and email address and tap 'Next'.
NOTE: If you prefer anonymity, instruct Participants to enter their name as P1, 2,... and their email can simply be email@example.com
- Flick toggle button to 'Allow' notifications.
- Tap 'OK to 'Enable' camera.
- Flick toggle button to 'Enable' microphone.
- Follow these steps to share your screen
- Tap 'OK' to reconfirm that the 'Participate App can access the Microphone'.
- Slide the yellow hand bubble, and tap the hand to start your session.
- It's important that we can hear and understand you during your session, as we won't be able to ask questions. Remember to think out loud throughout the session, saying what you’re trying to do, what you expect to see, and if things aren’t working as expected
- Whenever you need to access the 'Instructions', tap the yellow hand.
- If you’d like to pause the recording at any point, tap the yellow hand and tap 'Pause'. Tap 'Resume' to continue.
- When you’re ready to end your session, tap the red button (or red bar) at the very top of your screen. Tap 'Stop', then tap 'End session' to reconfirm.
Please let me know if you have any questions. I look forward to chatting with you!
[Researcher’s First Name]
You'll probably need to modify the email template above to fit your exact research project. A few things you may want to include in your email:
- Instructions regarding what the participant should do (tasks to complete, questions to answer, etc.)
- If the participant is testing a website or URL-based prototype, include instructions to tap 'Landing Page' (only if applicable)
- If the participant is testing an App or a Prototype viewed in an App, include instructions on how to navigate away from the Participate App to the relevant App (only if applicable)
- Info about what a participant should do if they need to cancel or reschedule
- Instructions asking participant to complete the test with strong WiFi
(we recommend at least 5Mbps for upload and download speeds)
- Contract / Consent Form for participant to sign
- Links to an external survey etc (only if applicable)
Here's a link to a help Participants setup and install the Participate app and carry out Participant Guide: Self-Test on iOS